A convicted burglar has admitted to 11 recent residential break-ins in west Nashville, said police.
Matthew Vitalis, 26, admitted to break-ins beginning in early March on Pennywell Drive, Russleo Drive, Davidson Drive, Cross Creek Road, Park Lane, Castleman Drive, Lindawood Drive, Wallace Lane and three on Trimble Road.
Vitalis, who had been staying at the Comfort Inn on White Bridge Place, became a person of interest after officers recovered a backpack that Vitalis left behind at a home March 29 on Davidson Drive.
Vitalis was arrested last week on two outstanding probation violations.
Police said while he was in jail, officers received confirmation that a fingerprint lifted from the April 5 Pennywell Drive break-in belonged to Vitalis.
Vitalis later admitted to the 11 burglaries saying he broke into the homes, primarily through windows, to support a drug habit.
Vitalis, who remains jailed, was charged Thursday with the Pennywell Drive burglary. Warrants charging Vitalis with the remaining 10 break-ins were issued against him Monday morning.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Suspect admits to 11 west Nashville break-insMore>>
Thursday, August 28 2014 7:49 PM EDT2014-08-28 23:49:55 GMT
A Montgomery County judge said Thursday he is reluctantly taking an animal cruelty case to the grand jury, but he doesn't believe there's enough evidence to convict suspects Eric and Nicole Hulbig. More >>
A Montgomery County judge said Thursday he is reluctantly taking an animal cruelty case to the grand jury, but he doesn't believe there's enough evidence to convict suspects Eric and Nicole Hulbig.More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 7:30 PM EDT2014-08-28 23:30:03 GMT
Nigerian Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu says two more Ebola cases exist in the country, raising the number of confirmed cases to 15.More >>
The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is accelerating and could grow six times larger to infect as many as 20,000 people, the World Health Organization said Thursday. The U.N. health agency unveiled a new road map for...More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-08-28 22:00:21 GMT
NFL players will be subject to a six-week suspension for a first domestic violence offense and banishment from the league for a second under a new policy outlined by Commissioner Roger Goodell.More >>
Acknowledging he "didn't get it right" with a two-game suspension for Ravens running back Ray Rice, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced tougher penalties for players accused of domestic violence, including six...More >>