Disabled Springfield man dies from injuries in house fire - WSMV Channel 4

Disabled Springfield man dies from injuries in house fire

Posted: Updated:
SPRINGFIELD, TN (WSMV) -

Investigators in Springfield said a disabled man injured in a fire at his home Saturday night has died.

According to firefighters, Simon Kendricks died Sunday morning at Vanderbilt Medical Center around 3 a.m.

Fire officials said two neighbors kicked in the door of the home on Central Avenue West and tried to get Kendricks out but the heat and flames were too intense.

Just a few moments later, firefighters arrived and found the victim on the floor of the home and pulled him to safety.

One firefighter suffered a back injury during the rescue but is expected to be back at work within the next couple of days.

Springfield Fire Chief Hamill said the blaze was likely caused by a discarded cigarette.  There was a smoke detector inside the home, but it's not clear whether it sounded.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.