Cause of Bellevue house fire released - WSMV Channel 4

Cause of Bellevue house fire released

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Investigators believe an overloaded electrical outlet in an upstairs room sparked a house fire that sent two people to the hospital early Thursday in Bellevue.

The fire was reported around 7:10 a.m. in the 300 block of Cross Timbers Drive.

David Hieronymus nearly lost his life when smoke and flames raced through an upstairs bedroom, and while fire officials investigate neighbors are rallying around the family.

"There was just a lot of smoke - a lot of black, billowing smoke," said neighbor Sonny Collier.

Collier said he awoke to commotion outside his friends' - David and Karen Hieronymus - home and saw flames shooting through a window on the second floor.

"As I ran over to see what I could do, the fire department was already on the way," Collier said.

Karen Hieronymus told officials she was downstairs drinking coffee when the home's smoke alarm sounded. She then tried to get her husband outside but was unable.

"He was asleep, and she was not able to wake him up," said Nashville Fire Capt. Maggie Lawrence.

Crews entered the home, rescued David Hieronymus and took him to a local hospital in critical condition. His wife was also taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Lawrence said crews were able to contain the fire to one room of the home.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.