Man shot by cops during traffic stop: I'm blessed to be alive - WSMV News 4

Man shot by cops during traffic stop indicted by grand jury

Posted: Updated:

The man shot by two Mount Holly Police officers says he is slowly recovering from his injuries.  

Jmar Davis agreed to sit down talk to WBTV only about what happened after the shooting, but his attorney says Davis never shot or tried to shoot police.

Mount Holly Police officials said everything started Tuesday, February 19th around 11:30 p.m. when patrol officers clocked an older model Nissan going 80 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Officers Taylor Hager and Darryl Barnes pulled over the vehicle near the intersection of Main Street and South Highland Street.

The Chief of Police says as the officers approached the car something went wrong.

"Mr. Davis was armed with a handgun" said David James, Interim Chief of Mount Holly Police. "I don't know right now at this briefing what happened in the encounter from the time they got out to the time gunfire started."

A week after the shooting, Davis says all he remembers is waking up in the hospital.

"You don't really know what happened at that point, you just know you are hurt," he said.

James says officers clocked Davis speeding at 80 mph in a 35 mph zone. Police will not say what happened after Davis was pulled over and before he was shot.

Davis' attorney, Kelvin Atkinson told WBTV that Jmar Davis never fired at police, or even grabbed for his gun. He says Davis was the only person shot.

"In my face, my neck, my leg, and twice in my back," Davis said.

Davis is no stranger to violence. He spent two years in the Army, almost dying after part of his vehicle exploded in Iraq. He took home the Purple Heart.

"To look at myself now, of course I consider myself to be lucky," he said.

Davis says healing, both mentally and physically will take months, but as he has shown in the past, he's ready for another fight.

"(I'm) just happy to be home. Blessed to be alive, and just trying to take this recovery thing one day at a time," he said.

Davis left the hospital over the weekend, and went immediately to jail. Police charged him with two felonies of assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm. His bond was $300,000.

The SBI is now handling this investigation. The officers who shot Jmar Davis are on leave, which is standard procedure.

On Monday, a Gaston County Grand Jury indicted Davis on the charge of assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.