Man accused of taking police on 2 pursuits in the same night - WSMV Channel 4

Man accused of taking police on 2 pursuits in the same night

Posted: Updated:
Demarcus Osborne (left) and Dontrez Cutno Demarcus Osborne (left) and Dontrez Cutno

A man apparently didn't learn his lesson after leading deputies on a chase through two counties.

Authorities say speeds topped 100 mph, and police dashboard cameras were running start to finish, but what happened after that is hard to believe.

Stewart County Sgt. Jody Batton was on his way to another call and said he had no intention of stopping the silver Dodge Charger in front of him.

"If he had just gotten over, I would have never given him any mind in the world," said Batton.

Instead, the driver took off, and that's when a chase began.

Surveillance video shows a car racing well above 100 mph with its headlights turned off. It sped through the heart of Dover, barely missing several cars, including two police cruisers.

Batton said Dontrez Cutno was behind the wheel and Demarcus Osborne was riding shotgun.

"If he would have hit somebody at those speeds, I mean, it would have been fatal," said Batton.

Spike strips finally stopped the two after they crossed into Henry County, where officers apprehended Osborne but were unable to capture Cutno.

Deputies said Cutno then returned to Stewart County, where he allegedly stole a car.

Dover police attempted to stop the car for having a busted brake light, unaware that the car had been stolen and was driven by a suspect on the run.

Cutno, they said, then took off yet again.

Officers finally realized it was the same man when he crashed.

"I looked at my officer and I was like, 'This is unbelievable.' I was like, 'This can't be happening,'" said Batton.

They found Cutno lying in the fetal position, doing his best to keep warm.

"We found him in the woods with his black hoodie on and a pair of boxers and one sock," said Batton.

Officers don't know why the pair ran, because when investigators questioned Cutno about his wild ride, they said he told them, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"He did not want to be caught that night," said Batton.

What investigators do know is it was one crazy night on the job, and it will keep them busy for a long time.

"It was eight minutes long, and now it will probably be in court for the next year," said Batton.

Investigators said they need witnesses from that night to give them a call as they work to determine exactly what happened.

Channel 4 News reached out to the two suspects, but they did not return our phone calls.

Cutno faces 20 charges in Stewart County alone. He was already wanted out of Clarksville for a probation violation on a burglary charge.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.