Valentine's Day Special: Local couple married 78 years - WSMV News 4

Valentine's Day Special: Local couple married 78 years

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

1934 - it was a year Bonnie and Clyde made headlines, Shirley Temple became a star and Franklin D. Roosevelt was in the White House. For Brice Oldham, 1934 is the year he married Izette, the love of his life. Both of them 96 years old today, and Brice and Izette Oldham have been married 78 years.

"That's a long time," laughed Brice Oldham. "I realize that. I realize that. It's about a record that I know of."

The Oldhams' story starts in 1932 in Dixon Springs, TN, when Brice Oldham spotted his future wife at a get-together on a Saturday night.

"She's just what I wanted, I reckon," said Brice Oldham. "I asked her for a date the next Saturday night. Weekends were a big courting time back in those days. She broke a date with another guy, and it started right there."

Two years passed, and in 1934 on Christmas day, Brice Oldham raced down to a county clerk's house, the clerk called a preacher and the Oldhams tied the knot.

"You've got to remember this was back in depression days," said Oldham. "Pictures. You asked me about pictures. We didn't take any pictures. Nobody had the money to buy a camera."

The heat soaring, the land dry and the country in the midst of the Great Depression, the Oldhams' first year of marriage on their farm was a trying time.

"Nobody had any cash," said Brice Oldham. "There was no cash flow in those days. People only worried about how much property they had."

Through it all, the two remained happy together.

"We thought we were, yes," said Brice Oldham. "We didn't much know the difference. Everybody was wearing the same shoe. We weren't in a class by ourselves by any means."

A few years passed and the Oldhams moved closer to Nashville. In 1944, Brice Oldham went into the service in Spokane, WA in the final year of World War II.

"I was a little small guy," said Brice Oldham. "I weighed in at the service at 116 pounds. I said, 'Sir, I thought you only wanted big men for MPs.' He says, 'Oh, you'll do.'"

After the war, Oldham came home to his wife, and in the 1950s, now with two boys, Brice Oldham became a salesman traveling from Hendersonville, TN to Lietchfield, KY.

"I went on the road with a catalogue," said Brice Oldham. "They called them drummers back in those days. I was a drummer. In less than a year, he'd raised my salary to $85 a week. You could given me three shots of morphine, and I wouldn't be any happier."

The decades passed, styles evolved, music changed, but Oldhams stayed strong.

"I believe we've come closer," said Brice Oldham. "We've come closer as we age. I just try to do anything in the world to help her and make her happy as I can."

In ill health, Izette Oldham couldn't be here for this interview, but there's not a day goes by Brice Oldham doesn't go see her at her nursing home.

"She looks forward to it," said Brice Oldham. "All of them say she keeps asking for me, all the time. I usually spend an hour with her, so you'd think we were two love doves. Oh, she likes to hear me tell her that I love her. It's been a tough route, but it's been a joyful route. God's been awful good to us, awful good to us. I thank him every day for just being so good to us."

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
  • Recent HeadlinesMore>>

Murfreesboro groups spread messages of love ahead of planned white supremacy rally

Sunday, October 22 2017 2:42 PM EDT2017-10-22 18:42:57 GMT

One week from today, League of the South -- a white supremacy group -- plans a White Lives Matter rally in downtown Murfreesboro. Several counter protests are in the works. Local faith based groups and community organizers say they want to promote a positive message of love and inclusion.

More >>

More >>

Jason Aldean releases 'I Won't Back Down' for charity

Sunday, October 22 2017 9:14 AM EDT2017-10-22 13:14:31 GMT
    Jason Aldean has released his cover of 'I Won't Back Down' to help victims of the Las Vegas shooting.More >>

Rep. Jim Cooper talks legislation to help DEA fight against opioids

Saturday, October 21 2017 10:50 PM EDT2017-10-22 02:50:24 GMT

Tennessee lawmaker speaks about his crusade to give law enforcement the power it needs in its fight against drugs. Congressman Jim Cooper is trying to right the wrong of legislation. The DEA claims prevents them from freezing, and red flagging large shipments of opioids.

More >>

More >>
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Police: Son shoots, kills mom’s friend for flirting with imaginary girlfriend

Thursday, October 19 2017 12:49 PM EDT2017-10-19 16:49:32 GMT
    (Photo: Pasco County Sheriff's Office)(Photo: Pasco County Sheriff's Office)

New body cam footage has been released which shows the moments after a Florida man shot and killed his mother’s friend for flirting with his imaginary girlfriend.

More >>

More >>

Thong jeans are just the latest weird fashion trend

Friday, October 20 2017 11:27 PM EDT2017-10-21 03:27:11 GMT
    A model display creation of "thibaut" by Japanese designer Meiko Ban during the 2018 Spring/Summer Collection at the Tokyo Fashion Week in Tokyo, Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)A model display creation of "thibaut" by Japanese designer Meiko Ban during the 2018 Spring/Summer Collection at the Tokyo Fashion Week in Tokyo, Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

Thong jeans. (Theans? Jongs? Thonjeangs?) Whatever you decided to call them, they’re weird and the internet is going crazy.

More >>

More >>

Chicago freezer death was a 'sad' accident, police chief says

Saturday, October 21 2017 8:12 AM EDT2017-10-21 12:12:40 GMT

Authorities have closed the investigation into the death of a young Chicago woman whose body was found in a hotel's walk-in freezer, saying it was accidental and there was no reason to suspect foul play.

More >>

More >>
Powered by Frankly
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.