Serves 4 - 6
4 Medium russet potatoes peeled washed, cut in approximately 1" cube
2 large Leeks white part only washed and sliced very thin
1 medium onion peeled quartered and sliced very thin
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
1 sprig fresh thyme
1-liter +/- chicken stock (may use vegetable for vegetarian)
4 strips thick bacon, sliced in ¼ lardon
Olive oil, for pan
3 TBS+/- unsalted butter
1/4 pound +/- country ham, pan fried & sliced in strips, for garnish
Grated Parmesan for garnish
1. Preheat a large sauce pan / pot over medium heat. Add olive oil to coat bottom, then bacon. Cook until bacon is browned & crisp.
2. Remove bacon and drain on towels. Add leek / onion / garlic and cook until just softened – about 2 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and cook until slightly colored. Add chicken stock to cover by 1 – 2" – approximately 6 cups. Bring to a boil, add thyme & reduce heat. Cook until potatoes are soft.
4. Using an immersion blender, slowly puree the soup until you reach your desired consistency.
5. Return bacon to pan. Adjust seasoning as needed with salt & if desired black pepper.
6. Add butter, stir to combine. Top with country ham & parmesan, drizzle with olive oil & serve with good crusty bread.
7. Bon Appétit!
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.