Jo Byrns HS students exposed to carbon monoxide - WSMV News 4

Jo Byrns HS students exposed to carbon monoxide

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Smokey Barn News Courtesy: Smokey Barn News

Carbon monoxide accidentally got inside a Robertson County school Friday, causing about 65 students to become nauseous.

Robertson County schools spokesman Jim Bellis said emergency personnel examined sixth and seventh grade students at Jo Byrns High School who may have come into contact with the gas.

No student was transported to the hospital.

The source of the problems stemmed from a gas-powered pump being used to remove water from the basement of the school.   

Several administrators and a school resource officer noticed the smell and alerted personnel, who identified the source.

The pump was near an intake vent near the gym and locker rooms in the middle school portion of the building, causing the gas to enter the school.

The district notified parents through a phone call and also told them to watch their children for potential problems that could possibly develop.

Bellis said levels were never considered dangerous, but the school still allowed any students who wanted to go home early to contact their parents.

No schools in Robertson County have carbon monoxide detectors.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.