Thursday, January 17 2013 5:32 PM EST2013-01-17 22:32:14 GMT
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week. Officials at DrexelMore >>
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week.More >>
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
Carbon monoxide can take your life in a matter of minutes, yet there are no laws in Tennessee requiring protection against it. However, after the Channel 4 I-Team got involved, at least one city leader plans a fight to change that.
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the "silent killer." It has no odor, taste or color, and without a detector, it may be impossible to detect a leak before it's too late.
The Channel 4 I-Team has been investigating ever since dozens of Nashville children were hospitalized in January after a leak at their school.
More than 40 students survived that carbon monoxide leak from a busted heating unit at Drexel Academy.
Smoke alarms are required in Nashville schools and homes, but carbon monoxide detectors are not, and Metro Councilman Scott Davis said he knows all too well what the students' parents went through.
"I have had an unfortunate experience recently with my own child," said Davis.
Thankfully, Davis' daughter is OK after being hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. Now, Davis wants an ordinance passed requiring detectors in Nashville's public buildings.
"Looking at ways to require schools and other public buildings that use gas to have carbon monoxide detectors so that none of these other tragedies can happen again," said Davis.
The state doesn't require carbon monoxide detectors in schools.
Drexel had carbon monoxide detectors installed at the time the students became ill, but they were not located in the classrooms where the children got sick. And those alarms eventually sounded, but it wasn't until hours after the school had already been evacuated when officials originally believed the students were sick with the flu.
More than 40 students were admitted to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, where they spent the next 23 hours hooked up to oxygen tanks as a precaution.
The school has since installed carbon monoxide detectors throughout the building, which is something officials with the Nashville Fire Department would like to see in buildings across the city.
When Drexel installed those new carbon monoxide detectors, several Channel 4 News viewers noticed those detectors should've been installed lower on the wall. So, the I-Team checked in to it.
Fire officials said some carbon monoxide detectors should be installed at knee height and others at approximately two-feet below the ceiling.
The best advice is to follow the instructions that come with the individual detector.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Saturday, May 25 2013 3:27 PM EDT2013-05-25 19:27:56 GMT
Deputies with the Sumner Co. Sheriff's office have shut down Highway 109 near Portland after a collision between a semi-truck and another vehicle. The wreck happened just after 8 a.m. Officials tellMore >>
Sumner County Sheriff Sonny Weatherford said that Stephanie Law, 43, lost control of her silver Chevy Impala as she traveled north on Highway 109.More >>
Saturday, May 25 2013 10:45 AM EDT2013-05-25 14:45:56 GMT
A driver might face charges after a violent wreck on I-65 Friday night. A car ran into a bridge pillar at the Rosa Parks Boulevard exit around 11:30 p.m., according to police. A woman was rushed to theMore >>
Metro police arrested a driver after a violent wreck on I-65 Friday night.More >>
Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."More >>
The trucker was hauling drilling equipment when his load bumped against the steel framework over an Interstate 5 bridge. He looked in his rearview mirror and watched in horror as the span collapsed into the water behind him....More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 7:48 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:48:47 GMT
One person was killed in a car wreck on I-24 this morning in Rutherford County. The wreck occurred near mile marker 86 in the eastbound lanes, which is partially blocked according to the Tennessee DepartmentMore >>
One person was killed in a car wreck on I-24 this morning in Rutherford County.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 10:48 PM EDT2013-05-25 02:48:33 GMT
Metro police are investigating a theft and assault at a south Nashville smoke shop. Investigators say two men showed up at the Smoke Token Smoke Shop on Harding Place to complain about a glass pipe theyMore >>
Metro police are investigating a theft and assault at a south Nashville smoke shop.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 7:07 PM EDT2013-05-24 23:07:39 GMT
A man accused of striking and killing two pedestrians while driving drunk near Music Row in December 2011 has pleaded guilty to reduced charges. The plea has the parents of one of the victims saying theMore >>
A man accused of striking and killing two pedestrians while driving drunk near Music Row in December 2011 has pleaded guilty to reduced charges.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 6:39 PM EDT2013-05-24 22:39:20 GMT
David Michael Matson
A National Weather Service employee who police said beat a puppy to death and killed another five or six dogs pleaded not guilty Friday to aggravated animal cruelty.Police said last November that DavidMore >>
A man who police said beat a puppy to death and killed another five or six animals pleaded not guilty Friday to aggravated animal cruelty.More >>