Thursday, January 17 2013 5:32 PM EST2013-01-17 22:32:14 GMT
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week. Officials at DrexelMore >>
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week.More >>
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
Carbon monoxide can take your life in a matter of minutes, yet there are no laws in Tennessee requiring protection against it. However, after the Channel 4 I-Team got involved, at least one city leader plans a fight to change that.
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the "silent killer." It has no odor, taste or color, and without a detector, it may be impossible to detect a leak before it's too late.
The Channel 4 I-Team has been investigating ever since dozens of Nashville children were hospitalized in January after a leak at their school.
More than 40 students survived that carbon monoxide leak from a busted heating unit at Drexel Academy.
Smoke alarms are required in Nashville schools and homes, but carbon monoxide detectors are not, and Metro Councilman Scott Davis said he knows all too well what the students' parents went through.
"I have had an unfortunate experience recently with my own child," said Davis.
Thankfully, Davis' daughter is OK after being hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. Now, Davis wants an ordinance passed requiring detectors in Nashville's public buildings.
"Looking at ways to require schools and other public buildings that use gas to have carbon monoxide detectors so that none of these other tragedies can happen again," said Davis.
The state doesn't require carbon monoxide detectors in schools.
Drexel had carbon monoxide detectors installed at the time the students became ill, but they were not located in the classrooms where the children got sick. And those alarms eventually sounded, but it wasn't until hours after the school had already been evacuated when officials originally believed the students were sick with the flu.
More than 40 students were admitted to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, where they spent the next 23 hours hooked up to oxygen tanks as a precaution.
The school has since installed carbon monoxide detectors throughout the building, which is something officials with the Nashville Fire Department would like to see in buildings across the city.
When Drexel installed those new carbon monoxide detectors, several Channel 4 News viewers noticed those detectors should've been installed lower on the wall. So, the I-Team checked in to it.
Fire officials said some carbon monoxide detectors should be installed at knee height and others at approximately two-feet below the ceiling.
The best advice is to follow the instructions that come with the individual detector.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, May 21 2013 8:39 PM EDT2013-05-22 00:39:52 GMT
Tiara Drake (Courtesy: Nash County, NC Sheriff's Office)
A woman in North Carolina is accused of poisoning her family with cheese tainted with household chemicals. Tiara Drake, 24, is charged with five counts of attempted first-degree murder, according to theMore >>
A woman in North Carolina is accused of poisoning her family with cheese tainted with household chemicals.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-21 23:16:48 GMT
MOORE, OK - The Oklahoma County Sheriff's office tweeted a photo of a frightened, muddy dog Monday after the deadly EF-5 tornado ripped through the town.The comment accompanying the photo said, "scared,More >>
A heartbreaking photo of a little dog guarding the body of his owner, who was killed in the Moore, OK, tornado, is going viral.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 8:18 PM EDT2013-05-22 00:18:28 GMT
There is a lot of demolition and construction going on in Nashville these days, but there are serious concerns about the city's plan of action for getting rid of an old building with troublesome thingsMore >>
There is a lot of demolition and construction going on in Nashville these days, but there are serious concerns about the city's plan of action for getting rid of an old building with troublesome things inside.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:14 AM EDT2013-05-21 14:14:20 GMT
A father is facing charges after police said he left his young kids in a hot car Monday in the Gulch area downtown. Police said the dad, Tranquilo Camaja-Lajon, went to orientation for a new job and broughtMore >>
A father is facing charges after police said he left his young kids in a hot car Monday in the Gulch area of downtown.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:16 PM EDT2013-05-22 02:16:08 GMT
Residents in tornado-stricken Moore, OK, await news on missing love ones Tuesday, a day after a massive tornado devastated the city, killing at least 51. Rescuers worked all night, with particular attentionMore >>
The tornado, with winds up to 200 mph, cut a 20-mile stretch as wide as two miles through the Oklahoma City metro area. The medical examiner's office reported 24 people died, including nine children. More >>