3 cups Long grain rice
5-6 cups chicken stock/broth
1 - 1.5 lb chicken breasts and/or thighs (boneless, skinless ok) cut bite size
1 – 1.5 lb andouille or smoked sausage sliced
1 large bell pepper (green or red or blend for color) rough dice
1-2 stalks celery diced
1 large onion rough dice
3-4 cloves garlic chopped
1 bunch parsley rough chopped and divided
Coarsely chopped green onion for garnish
1. Season chicken with salt/pepper/cayenne, (Emeril's seasoning is a good balance and convenient – don't salt chicken if using).
2. Heat large pot/dutch oven then add oil (should be barely smoking). Add sausage and sauté without moving or turning until dark brown and remove from pot.
3. Add chicken (you may have to add in batches) and more oil if needed and sauté without moving or turning until dark brown – and remove from pot.
4. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and 1/2 of the parsley and season with salt. Sauté veggies until slightly caramelized.
5. Add rice season with salt and sauté until slightly toasted (think risotto). Add small amount of stock to deglaze pot - scraping up all the yum yum's, add chicken and sausage with any accumulated juices and mix well.
6. Add remaining stock bring to a full boil stir in remaining parsley taste for seasoning then cover tightly and lower heat to low simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes. DON'T TAKE THE LID OFF!!!
7. After 25-30 minutes remove from heat and let rest – still covered for 15 minutes. Serve garnished with green onions and hot sauce on the side if desired.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.