Mozzarella in Carozza (Mozzarella in a Carriage)
12 slices white bread / 6 small yeast rolls (day old is best)
1 pound Fresh Mozzarella thinly sliced
6 large eggs
1/2 C whole milk
2 C plain bread crumbs
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
8 C vegetable oil for frying (heated to 350 degrees use thermometer to test)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1) Heat oil in heavy sauce pan. Enough to come half way up side of pan.
2) Remove all crust from bread
3) Cut Mozzarella to fit size of bread. Make sure not to overlap on sides.
4) Make 6 sandwiches of Mozzarella and bread. Firmly pressing together.
5) Whisk together eggs,milk,thyme, salt and pepper.
6) Dredge sandwich in egg mixtured covering all sides.
7) Dredge in breadcrumbs covering all sides.
8) When oil is 350 degrees gently place sandwiches into hot oil. Fry one sandwich at a time for best results.
9) Cook until cheese melts and sandwiches are golden. About 3 minutes per side.
10) Cut into wedges and serve with marinara sauce, basil pesto or no sauce at all.
Quick Roasted Garlic Marinara sauce
1 28 oz can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
6 cloves roasted garlic
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C fresh basil leaves torn
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a small sauce pan heat oil and garlic together on medium heat.
2) Once garlic is warmed through add tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper
3) Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
4) Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.