1 - 3-4 lb. boneless pork butt (shoulder, or country ribs ok)
2- large onions, cut in ½ and sliced thin
2 – carrots, sliced ¼ inch rounds
4 – cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS all purpose flour
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 – 12 oz. bottle beer, preferably stout (may substitute chicken stock)
Chicken stock as needed (no more than 1 cup)
Fresh ground black pepper
Unsalted butter for pan
Set slow cooker to low
1. Season pork aggressively with salt & black pepper
2. Preheat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add butter to coat bottom (butter will foam & turn brown – don't worry!) and add pork. Brown on all sides and remove from pan & place in slow cooker.
3. Wipe pan clean and add fresh butter. Add onions, carrots & garlic and cook until slightly softened.
4. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to combine.
5. Add vinegar and cook until almost gone.
6. Add beer and bring to quick boil stirring to loosen any pan residue.
7. NOTE: MAY DO STEPS 1 – 5 UP TO 2 DAYS IN ADVANCE. ADD ALL INGREDIENTS TO SLOW COOKER AT ONCE AND PROCEED
8. Pour mixture over pork. Add chicken stock - if needed - to come approximately ½ way up side of pork.
9. Cover slow cooker and cook for 6 – 8 hours.
10. Remove pork to a plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
11. Place liquid and vegetables from cooker into a blender and puree. Add chicken stock to thin to desired thickness.
12. Bon Appétit!!
Roasted Carrot & Potato Medley
1 – bunch carrots, washed and peeled if desired
1 lb. baby or fingerling potatoes
Olive Oil (extra virgin)
Preheat oven to 425*
Coat veg liberally with olive oil and kosher salt. Spread veg on sheet tray & place in preheated oven. Roast until dark golden brown & slightly tender.
Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.