Christmas lights may have caused house fire - WSMV Channel 4

Christmas lights may have caused house fire

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Some Christmas decorations may have cost one Nashville couple their home Saturday morning.

A house in the Pennington Bend area burned down around 1 a.m. Fortunately, neighbors spotted the flames and rushed over. They started banging on the door, and woke up a woman who was sleeping inside.

She got out before the fire destroyed the home, and told firefighters that she has just started hanging Christmas lights.

District Chief Ricky Taylor of the Nashville Fire Department says, "You have to be extremely careful getting ready for the holidays. Especially when you're using extra electrical outlets, extension cords, Christmas trees and decorations. Any of that type of material you've got to be extremely careful and make sure you're not overloading your plugs."

The woman's boyfriend was not at home when the fire started, and the Red Cross is helping them find temporary shelter.

Copyright 2012 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.