Fire officials believe a cigarette left on the deck of an apartment caused a two-alarm fire that damaged at least eight units Wednesday morning near Ellington Parkway.
The fire was reported around 10 a.m. at the Point Breeze apartments located at Lemont Drive and Maplewood Lane.
Crews extinguished the flames by 10:30 a.m. but not before substantial damage to a roof and several units.
Investigators believe the cigarette was tossed into a bucket on the porch of a first-floor unit, and it somehow caught the siding on fire, which melted the siding and kept spreading from there.
No one was hurt, and the American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.
Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
SLIDESHOW: Apartment damaged by fire More>>
Hershey Company has unveiled its new corporate logo.
The following are mugshots of individuals arrested in May by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.