Chimney fire damages West Nashville home - WSMV Channel 4

Chimney fire damages West Nashville home

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Metro firefighters quickly extinguished a house fire late Wednesday night in West Nashville.

It happened at a home on Illinois Avenue around 11:30 p.m.

Officials said two people inside had started a fire in the chimney, but the flames escaped through some cracks and spread into the wall.

Everyone made it out of the house unhurt, but the house took some heavy smoke damage.

Firefighters said it's important to keep your chimney clean, especially in the winter time.

The chief also says it's important to check every smoke detector in your home to make sure it's working.

Fire Safety Tips

House fires like these are more common during the winter months when people use space heaters and use fireplaces.

Be sure to inspect the area around your chimney or wood stove for cracks or weak spots.

The U.S. Fire Administration also recommends when your done with the fire to dispose of all the ashes outside.

If you have a space heater, keep it away from any loose fabric like drapes or clothing.

Also, be sure to use space heaters away from water, bathrooms and kitchens.

Finally, make sure every room inside your home has a working smoke detector to keep you safe.

Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

More News

SIDEBAR: Chimney fire in west Nashville

Updated:

SLIDESHOW: West Nashville home damaged by fire More>>

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.