1 – 3.5 to 4.5 lb. chicken – backbone removed (your butcher will do this for you)
Extra Virgin olive oil
Fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Lay chicken flat on a parchment lined sheet pan (cookie sheet) and coat generously with olive oil.
2. Season chicken aggresively with salt and sprinkle with pepper.
3. Place chicken in preheated oven and roast until golden brown and juices run clear when pierced in fattest part (near thigh) – approximately 30 minutes.
4. Remove and allow to rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Carve as desired and serve.
Perfect Mashed Potatoes
For 4-6 servings
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and rinsed.
4 TBS unsalted butter
1 cup +/- heavy cream (may use ½ & ½ if desired)
1. Cut potatoes into 1" cubes & place in 4 qt. saucepan. Cover with cold water by 1".
2. Place pan over medium high heat & bring to gentle boil. Add approximately 1 TBS salt, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
3. Cook for approximately 20 minutes until VERY tender.
4. Remove from heat and CAREFULLY drain water. Place pan back on heat and cook for 1-2 minutes to remove excess water from potatoes (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)
5. Heat cream in saucepan – or microwave until very hot but not boiling.
6. Using a masher, gently smash potatoes. Add butter and mash to combine. While stirring potatoes slowly add cream to desired consistency.
7. Season with salt and if desired black pepper. Taste and adjust as needed.
Copyright 2012 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.