Serves 4 – 6
4 Qts. Chicken or vegetable stock*, preferably homemade – store brand is fine!
1 medium zucchini, sliced ¼" thick
1 medium yellow squash, sliced ¼" thick
1 large onion, sliced in 1/8" "ribbons"
1 large carrot, sliced in 1/8" rounds
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 sprig rosemary & 1 sprig thyme, tied together with string (use fresh herbs or your choice)
1 bunch kale or other greens (turnip, collard, etc.)
1 - 10 0z. Can whole peeled tomatoes
2 cans Cannelloni OR Great Northern beans – DRAINED!!
1 TBS. tomato paste
Juice of 1 lemon OR 1 TBS vinegar – any type you prefer. We're looking for acid not flavor!!
¼ cup orzo pasta OR narrow egg noodles OR elbow macaroni – whatever you like!!
4 strips bacon – or ¼ lb. ground Italian sausage – or olive oil*
Red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Heat a 4 qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, sausage or olive oil. If using bacon or sausage cook until JUST browned. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain.
2. Add onion, carrot and garlic and sauté until soft – DO NOT BROWN.
3. Add squashes and sauté BRIEFLY.
4. Season GENTLY with salt & red pepper.
5. Add stock, tomatoes & herbs and bring to gentle boil. Cover & simmer for 10 minutes to combine flavors.
6. Add beans & greens bring back to boil. Cover & simmer for 10 minutes to soften greens.
7. Add pasta, return to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Allow to stand UNDISTURBED FOR 10 MINUTES to cook pasta.
8. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper if needed & acid.
9. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan and good crustry bread.
James Watson 11/13/2012
Copyright 2012 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
The government's recent efforts to cut down on Medicare fraud may be hurting the people who need help the most.More >>