Several Murfreesboro residents were displaced when their apartment building caught fire Monday evening.
Crews were called to the Poplar Village Apartments around 5:30 p.m., where six units were damaged in the fire that investigators determined started when a resident's cooking accidentally went unattended.
Witnesses reported seeing heavy, black smoke coming from the roof, and firefighters managed to extinguish the flames soon after arriving.
The American Red Cross is helping the eight people who were forced to evacuate.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The Murfreesboro Fire Department released the following list of cooking safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
Be on alert. If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don't use the stove or stovetop.
Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
If you are simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while the food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
Keep anything that can catch fire (oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains) away from your stovetop.
Cooking and Kids:
Have a "kid-free zone" of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
If you have a cooking fire:
Just get out. When you leave, close the door behind you to contain the fire.
If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
Keep a lid nearby when you are cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.