- January 2012 - Arizona-based Great Hearts Academy officially submitted an application to build a campus in Nashville.
- May 2012 - Facing resistance from area parents. The Metro school board denied the application saying the academy proposed too many schools at once.
- July 2012 - The state intervened and approved Great Hearts' application and also urged Metro officials to do the same.
- Sept. 11, 2012 - Despite warnings from state officials, Metro once again denied the application for a third time.
- September 19, 2012 - The state announced they would withhold $3.4 million from Metro schools for their refusal to accept the charter.
Copyright 2012 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.