Child with matches starts Nashville house fire - WSMV Channel 4

Child with matches starts Nashville house fire

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

An East Nashville home was damaged by fire Wednesday afternoon after a child apparently was playing with matches under a bed.

The fire was reported around 4 p.m. in the 1600 block of Lethia Drive, and crews were able to contain much of the fire to the first floor of the home.

The family said a 4-year-old boy got matches from the top of the fridge and accidentally set a mattress on fire.

When the smoke alarms went off, the mother called 911 while the boy's 7-year-old brother ran to a neighbor's house for help.

"I learned in school that if there's a fire in your house and there's a phone trapped inside, then go to a neighbor's house and knock on their door and say, 'can I use your phone?' And then use it to call 911," brother Jacob Morgan said.

The family all got out of the house safely, but the structure was badly damaged.

Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

More News

SIDEBAR - Child with matches starts fire

Updated:

SLIDESHOW: Child with matches starts fire More>>

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.