Clarksville child dies after saving mother, brothers from fire - WSMV Channel 4

Clarksville child dies after saving mother, brothers from fire

Posted: Updated:

An 8-year-old boy from Clarksville is credited with saving the lives of his mother and brothers during a house fire. But the little boy didn't make it out alive.

The fire happened on Tuesday in Wise, VA, where Evan McWhorter and his brothers were staying with their mom.

Officials say a faulty air conditioner sparked the fire inside the mobile home, where there were a total of five people inside.

Evan woke up to discover the fire, and according to neighbors, he helped get his mother and brothers, ages 5 and 3, out through a window before falling back into the flames.

"She said she reached for him and she lost him, and she couldn't find him. After that, he was gone," neighbor Angie Jaques said.

Neighbors say the boy's mother, Jackie Sysco-Greer, was inconsolable as she realized her son had given his life to save hers.

"The mother was lying on the ground. She was just laying there pounding the ground," neighbor Carolyn Stephens said.

A family friend who was sleeping on the couch of the home suffered severe burns on 70 percent of his body, but he survived.

Evan's father, Evan McWhorter Sr., lives in Clarksville.

A visitation is being held there Friday. The boy's funeral is set for Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Sykes Funeral Home chapel.

Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.