Electric cigarette explodes in FL man's mouth - WSMV Channel 4

Electric cigarette explodes in FL man's mouth

Posted: Updated:

By MELISSA NELSON
Associated Press

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - Fire officials say an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.

North Bay Fire Department Division Chief Joseph Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. Parker likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.

Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.

Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.

The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.