Child, 6, dies after East Nashville house fire - WSMV Channel 4

Child, 6, dies after East Nashville house fire

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A 6-year-old boy has died from injuries he sustained in an East Nashville house fire Wednesday morning.

The fire started just after 7 a.m. at a residence on Shelby Avenue.  When crews arrived, the home had heavy smoke and flames.

Deputy Chief Kim Lawson said the child, identified as Cortaviz Green, was found in a back bedroom and treated at the scene with CPR.

"He was a great normal kid," said Paul Gilchrist, Green's music teacher at nearby Kirkpatrick Elementary. "You know first graders will be first graders. You love on them and correct them, but that's part of being in school."

Cortaviz was then taken to Vanderbilt Medical Center but later died, said the Nashville Fire Department.

The child's mother was not at the home because she said she went to the Last Minute Toy Store to pick up some gifts.  She said she left the boy with another adult at the home.

"You could be the best mother in the world and tragedy strikes," said Lance Goodman, a neighbor. "It's terrible. You are going to the toy store for Christmas presents for her family. I'm praying for her family."

A smoke alarm was inside the house but not working, said Lawson.

Investigators say a couch was pressed up against a heating unit, causing the fire.

Crews believe the home is a total loss.

Donate to the family

Donations can be made at any Regions Bank to the Cortaviz Green Memorial Relief Fund.

Fire Safety Tips

* Maintain at least 3 feet of clearance between heaters and anything that can burn.
* If you have wall heaters, check to make sure that items have not been placed in front of or near the heaters that could ignite when the cooler temperatures arrive and the thermostat turns on the heater.
* Use alternative heating devices—electric space heater, kerosene heaters, wood stoves—only in well-ventilated areas. Follow manufacturers' directions. For portable devices, make certain they are not subject to tipping over and/or have a shut-off switch if they do.
* Be careful about wearing loose clothing around heat sources like heaters and stoves.
* Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, chimney connectors and all other solid-fueled heating equipment inspected annually by a professional, and cleaned as often as inspections suggest.
* If you use a fireplace, use only wood that is properly seasoned to reduce creosote build-up and make sure that it has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
* Do not use extension cords to "create extra circuits" for electric blankets, mattress warmers, and space heaters.
* Make certain that your smoke alarms are working. You should have one on every level of your home and in all sleeping areas. Make sure you have changed your battery within the past year. 60% of fire fatalities occur in homes without a working smoke alarm.
* Plan exit drills from your home. Have a designated meeting place, once out, stay out!
* If you have fuel-burning appliances—gas furnace, wood stove, kerosene heater—make certain you also have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector outside sleeping areas in a central location.

The Nashville Fire Department has free smoke alarms. Call 862-5282 for more information or directions.

Copyright 2011 WSMV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
WSMV
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.