There's a person in Clarksville known as the Angel of Giving. Each year, this person drops a gold coin into the Salvation Army kettle worth hundreds of dollars, but no one has a clue who the anonymous donor is.
Sure enough, a gold coin turned up in a Salvation Army kettle Thursday night.
To the person who, year after year, has left a gold coin in a bell ringer's kettle in Clarksville, the Salvation Army wants you to know they are overwhelmingly grateful.
And to whoever you are, wherever you are, they want to deliver a message to you.
"Thank you. It's a wonderful gift. The proceeds go to fund our shelter, keep it operational. It does so many good things for the community," said Martin Bruner, with the Salvation Army. "This is our fifth year in a row to receive a gold coin. We've labeled the person as the Angel of Giving."
The Salvation Army found this year's coin wrapped in an envelope tucked inside the kettle at the Sam's Club on Wilma Rudolph Boulevard.
The coin is valued at more than $1,700 dollars and the effort may be inspiring others. This week, two silver dollars also turned up in area kettles.
The Salvation Army says every year the gold coins have shown up at a different Clarksville business and on a different date than years past, which means the coin is something they've come to anticipate. They just don't know where and when it'll show up.
So the anonymous acts have become something of a local holiday tradition.
Salvation Army officials say 90 percent of the donations that are made to Clarksville kettles will stay in Clarksville, and the other 10 percent will go toward disaster relief.
Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:42 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:42:03 GMT
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has flown into Israel's main airport despite a Federal Aviation Administration ban as he continues to push a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas.More >>
Offering the first glimmer of hope for a Gaza cease-fire, the United States on Wednesday said negotiations to broker a truce between Israel and Hamas militants are making some progress even if an end to more than two weeks...More >>
Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:43 AM EDT2014-07-23 08:43:51 GMT
By The Associated Press Delta Air Lines is canceling all flights to Israel until further notice, citing reports that a rocket landed near Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport.More >>
By The Associated Press When U.S. and European airlines quickly canceled flights to Israel on Tuesday, they showed both a skittishness and a new sense of urgency in dealing with global trouble spots...More >>
Tuesday, May 6 2014 8:00 PM EDT2014-05-07 00:00:39 GMT
Diamonds are a girl's best friend, a guy's biggest splurge and the timeless symbol of priceless love. But what if the diamond you dreamed of and saved for wasn't nearly as valuable as you were led to believe? TheMore >>
Diamonds are a girl's best friend, a guy's biggest splurge and the timeless symbol of priceless love. But what if the diamond you dreamed of and saved for wasn't nearly as valuable as you were led to believe?More >>
Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-07-23 00:32:17 GMT
A federal appeals court has delivered a serious setback to President Barack Obama's health care law, potentially derailing subsidies for many low- and middle-income people who have bought policies.More >>
President Barack Obama's health care law is snarled in another big legal battle, with two federal appeals courts issuing contradictory rulings on a key financing issue within hours of each other Tuesday.More >>
Monday, July 21 2014 3:49 PM EDT2014-07-21 19:49:11 GMT
(WMC) – With beef, chicken, and gas prices all rising sharply in 2014, no one wants to overpay at the grocery store, but according to AOL's personal finance site many people are overpaying every time theyMore >>
With beef, chicken, and gas prices all rising sharply in 2014, no one wants to overpay at the grocery store, but according to AOL's personal finance site many people are overpaying every time they walk in.More >>