Search continues for Zaylee Fryar - WSMV News 4

Search continues for Zaylee Fryar

Posted: Updated:

It's been two months since Shauna Fryar's badly decomposing body was pulled from the Cumberland River. And how the 28-year-old woman died could be key in determining the whereabouts of four-month-old Zaylee.

The mother and child were last seen alive in early May. Police are now saying because of the condition of Shauna's remains, it's possible we may never know how she died.

"It's 'cause she was in the water the time she was in the water and the decomposure [sic] in the water. I've talked to Dr. Lee and they are running tests to find something to help us," said Millersville Police Chief Ronnie Williams.

Williams said the medical examiner is still looking at tissue samples hoping to put together the pieces of this disturbing puzzle.

Shauna's husband, Michael Fryar, said he last saw the two on the morning of May 1 at their home in Millersville. Hours after returning from an errand, Shauna and Zaylee were gone. The new mother had left behind her car, cell phone, diaper bag and purse. Michael was questioned by police early on in the investigation. Today his father Clifford said his son is as anxious as everyone else to know Zaylee's whereabouts and how her mother died.

"Being questioned the way he was hard, but I I told him, 'Mike, hang in there let them do their job, tell 'em the truth whatever you can do to help so we can find out what happened,'" said Clifford Fryar.

Police, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have been back and forth to the Fryar home looking for evidence.

The child's biological father was in the Robertson County Jail at the time of her disappearance. Thurman McMurry was released from jail but was arrested again on June 5 for aggravated assault charges.

For now, the unknown continues to frustrate police and family members. Leads have come in saying Zaylee has been spotted in Florida and Texas. So far nothing has panned out. And it is becoming more difficult to hope for the best for Zaylee as the people who love her fear the worst.

"Every time my phone rings I hope it's the call saying they found her," said Clifford Fryar.

Powered by Frankly
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WSMV; Nashville, TN. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.