Emergency crews were able to contain a fire Tuesday morning at a church in Rutherford County after a man the church was helping called 911.
Images | Noon Report | Pastor: Homeless Man Prevents Further Fire Damage
The fire occurred at about 4:30 a.m. at Miracle Baptist Church just off of Murfreesboro Road and the corner of Easy Street.
The fire began in the youth wing of the building, which was completed in April 2010 at a cost of $50,000.
A minister said a man, Ronald Kehl, who the church had been assisting was able to alert officials about the fire.
Kehl had been given permission by the church to use the back parking lot at night to sleep in his van. He said he awoke early with heartburn, noticed smoke coming from the building and called 911.
"It seems like if (Kehl) had not been here and seen it early the damage could have been a lot worse," said Miracle Baptist Church Pastor Michael Todd Kirkland.
According to La Vergne Fire Marshal Victor Woods, the fire was caused by a malfunction in the buildings HVAC unit.
The fire did not spread to the main sanctuary of the church. No injures were reported.