1- 5 lb. pork belly, skin removed 3 - large sweet onions, sliced thin 1/4 cup Tennessee Whiskey - such as Pritchard's or Jack Daniels 1 Pint Cherries - preferably Bing Kosher Salt Fresh ground black pepperMETHOD
Warm Apple Cabbage SlawINGREDIENTS
- Preheat sous vide to 82.2* Celsius.
- Place belly, onions and cherries in vacuum bag slightly larger than pork. Pour whiskey into bag.
- Vacuum seal bag.
- Place bag in preheated sous vide machine and cook for 8 - 12 hours, until pork reaches internal temperature of 180* (over done for pan sear - perfect for braise) 4. Place belly - still sealed in bag - in ice bath until completely cooled.
- Remove pork from bag and dry thoroughly.
- Pour liquid into saucepan over medium high heat and cook until reduced by 1/2.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over high heat.
- Slice belly into desired serving size - or leave whole - and place fat side down in sauté pan. Cook until browned and crisp.
- Serve drizzled with pan sauce.
1 head green cabbage, cut in medium strip 2 - Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut in medium dice 1 - yellow onion cut in thin slice 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin Mirin (Japanese sweet rice vinegar) to taste 1/2 cup Dry White Wine (pinot grigio is good choice) 1 TBS unsalted butter Kosher salt California Olive Ranch olive oil for panMETHOD
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Coat bottom of pan with olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté briefly. Add garlic and cook briefly. Add cabbage and apples and toss to combine.
- Add wine and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat cook until just tender.
- Season with salt and adjust acidity with Mirin (we do this at the end to limit moisture)
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.