3 lb chicken thigh, bone in and skin on 2 large onions sliced 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme 30 grams (2 TBS) tomato paste 1 bottle dry red wine 125 ML (1/2 cup) chicken stock Kosher salt Olive oil for pan 30 grams (2 TBS) good unsalted butter such as KerryGoldMETHOD
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Select a heavy Dutch oven or cast iron skillet with tight-fitting lid that can accommodate the meat in one layer.
- Brown the chicken thoroughly in a little olive oil over high heat. Remove to a plate and pour out all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Lower the heat to medium and sauté the onions, carrots and garlic until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the wine to deglaze pan, stir in tomato paste and return chicken to pan. Add stock to come up side of meat no more than half to 2/3.
- Bring to a boil, cover and place in preheated oven until tender approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the meat to a warmed platter and cover LOOSELY. Skim fat from the liquid in the pan and raise heat to boil to quickly reduce the sauce by half. Turn off heat, stir in butter and strain sauce over the meat.