Makes 1 gallon
4 oz Canola Oil 8# Beef Marrow Bones 6qts. Cold Filtered Water
8oz Onions, large dice 4oz. Carrots, large dice 4oz. Celery, large dice 2each Leek greens
6oz. Tomato Paste
Sachet depices containing 2-3 parsley stems, ½ tsp fresh thyme, ½ tsp cracked black peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, and 1 garlic clove.
AN Kosher Salt (optional)
1. Heat the roasting pan and oil in a 425-450 degree oven. Add the bones to the pan and return to the oven. Roast the bones until they are a deep brown color, about 30-45 minutes.
2. Transfer the bones to a stockpot, and add cool water. Deglaze the roasting pan with a little additional cool water, and add the released dripping to the stockpot. Bring the stock to a simmer slowly over low heat. Continue to cook, skimming as necessary.
3. While the stock is simmering, heat a stock pot over medium high heat. Add enough oil to film the pan. Add the mirepoix and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a deep golden brown about 15-20 minutes. Add tomato paste and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until it takes on a rusty brown color and gives off a sweet aroma, about 1-2 minutes. Add a few ladles of the stock to the pan and stir well to release the drippings; add this mixture to the stock after it has simmered for about 5 hours. Add the sachet at the same time.
4. Continue to simmer the stock, skimming as necessary and tasting from time to time, until it has developed a rich flavor and a noticeable body, about 1 more hour.
5. Strain the stock. Rapidly cool in an ice water bath. Store in ice cube trays, when frozen, pop out and store in a Ziploc freezer bag for later use.